Monday 27 April 2009

Stood Up

Not the first time and won't be the last...

There I am, sitting on the 6:55 to Paris just settling into the FT when my phone goes off. It's the client. "Ah - glad I caught you", says he...

No call that starts like that can ever be good. He was calling to say that I wasn't needed since some of the people I needed to see wouldn't be there. I explained I was already (a) on the train and (b) that the train was moving. 

"No problem" I said. I went on to explain that I'd either turnaround and come home or spend the day in Paris. We would re-schedule. Then the fun started. "You won't be charging us for this will you?" said my now favourite client. "'Fraid so. We'll call it half a day, though, since I could always just turnaround when I get to Paris".

We then went on to have a longer discussion about the subject that I either expected to have or felt was necessary. 

I've been too long in this job now and so will be binning the client. I don't mind so much about being stood up. That will happen. But I had given up a day - at short notice (for those of your who have been reading these blog posts) - so to find that the client was going to whinge about the cost is too much to be bothered with. The client will have to live with the written report since I'll be damned if I'm going to mess about again with them. Anyone want a client...?

I've calmed down now. I had a lovely day in Paris, although the weather wasn't up to much. I had a bit of a wander and a wonderful meal. In the end it was a good day.

The lesson is - don't be bothered with clients if they are both going to be difficult and penny-pinching.

SC

No comments:

Post a Comment